Friday, February 15, 2013

Crochet Skittles Applique: My Birthday Gift to Myself!

Whenever my birthday rolls around, I craft a little something special for myself. This year, as my clock rolled past 31 years of delightful existence, I decided on a set of... are you ready for this? (And the pattern too?!)

*SKITTLES BROOCHES*

 I almost exploded with happiness at the mere thought of creating something so outrageously wonderful. I love candy and sweets and baked goods, and I thought that if I can find a way to wear it, or surround myself with inedible versions of my favourites, then it would be easier to enjoy them infrequently without going overboard.


The earliest candy memory I have belongs to Skittles. My Dad would go to the corner store on Sundays to grab a newspaper and sometimes, if I asked in the cutest little-girl voice I could muster complete with gigantic begging eyes and a hopeful smile, he would return with a bag of Skittles for me to share with my younger brother, Wesley. We split the pack right down the middle, sorting the colours and first splitting up the yellow, orange and purple, then divvying up the green and red. Red was my favourite, green was Wesley's favourite. He would get the extra green, and I'd get the extra red. Then we'd trade to see if we could get more reds or greens. This is one of my favourite memories, and now these brooches are one of my favourite accessories.

As part of my birthday celebration, I'm sharing the crochet pattern for the Skittles applique. You can add them to a sweater pocket, sew them onto your favourite backpack or even the back pocket of a pair of jeans. Appliques can be sewn on pretty much anywhere! 

~ Crochet Skittles Applique ~

Supplies:
-G / size 6 / 4.25mm* crochet hook
-Darning needles- I use Chibi Jumbo Darning Needles to weave in my yarn ends, and Chibi Darning Needles to embroider the “s”.
-Scissors
-Size 4 Medium, worsted weight yarn in your favourite Skittle colour and a bit more than an arm span of white.
*I have seen G / size 6 hooks with measurements of 4.25mm and 4mm. Mine is 4.25mm, the difference will be a Skittle that is just a teensy bit smaller if yours measures 4mm.



Pattern: (walk through with photos below text-only version)
Create a No-Slip Magic Circle with 8hdc, pull threads to close circle, slst to first hdc to join. (My No-Slip Magic Circle Tutorial)
Round 1: ch 1, (2hdc) in each hdc, slst to first hdc to join. (16hdc) If your work curls up, gently flatten and stretch it out a little.
Round 2: ch 1, 1hdc in first, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, (1dc, 1tr) in next, 1dc in next, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, (1dc, 1tr) in next, 1dc in next, 2hdc in next, 1 hdc in next, 2hdc in last, slst to first hdc to join.

Cut yarn leaving about 10” tail, yarn over and pull through to tie off.

Finishing: Using the jumbo darning needles, weave in your yarn ends; the magic circle tail can be woven into a few stitches and then cut, the end tail should be woven through some stitches and then looped through one stitch and woven through a few more.
Thread the white yarn onto the medium sized of the regular darning needles (it’s a bit tricky to thread, but you need the smaller needle to get into the hdc stitches. I use the circle created by the first round as a guideline for stitching my “s”, you want the middle line of your “s” to go over the centre point of the Skittle as closely as you can. If you're comfortable with the written pattern but want more details on stitching the 's', scroll down to "Embellish me!".

~ Walk-Through With Photos, after you've completed your No-Slip Magic Circle ~

Round 1: ch 1, (2hdc) in each hdc...

slst to first hdc to join. (16hdc)

After being gently stretched and flattened.

 Round 2: ch 1, 1hdc in first, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, (1dc, 1tr) in next, 1dc in next, 2hdc in next...

 ...1hdc in next, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, 2hdc in next, 1hdc in next, (1dc, 1tr) in next, 1dc in next, 2hdc in next, 1 hdc in next, 2hdc in last, slst to first hdc to join. 

Cut yarn leaving about 10” tail, yarn over and pull through to tie off. Flip over your Skittle to work reverse side.

Using the jumbo darning needles, weave in your yarn ends on the reverse side of the Skittle, beginning with the tail from the magic circle. Cut the end once you've pulled it through.

A: Weave other yarn end through backs of 2 stitches to the left of the thread.
B: Following the semi-circle, weave through about 5 stitches and pull through.
C: Loop around the last stitch you pulled through and weave through it again and the next 5 stitches, pull through, then cut.

 YES! TIME FOR THE 'S'!

Thread your white yarn from the back of the Skittle to the front, positioned to the right of the center of the circle and a little above the actual mid-point.

A: Use a whip stitch to embroider your "s" and use the outline of the middle circle as a guideline.
B: Once you have a curve that looks like a noodle or a little upside-down smile, curve towards the midpoint.
C: When you've reached the midpoint, rotate your Skittle 180 degrees clockwise (turn your 's' upside-down)

D: Continue whip stitching through the midpoint and begin the other curve to follow the other half of the middle circle guideline.
E: When you've made your second noodle-shaped little upside-down smile, it should look like an 's'!
F: You could weave your ends underneath of your whip stitches if the back will of the Skittle will be exposed, but since mine will be covered I simply tied the two ends together and cut the extra.


You now have one of the coolest appliques you could possibly stick on something!

I added a brooch pin and a felt back to mine to make them Skittles Brooches :) I love them to bits. Happy Birthday to me!

I hope I've left you drooling over your new Skittles crafting opportunities and that this kick-ass tutorial will help make all of your inedible Skittles dreams come true! If you try it out I'd love to hear what you think, and let me know in the comments if  you get stuck anywhere or need some help. I'll do my best to help you through because everyone should be wearing some Skittles somewhere ;)

*Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment