Friday, March 1, 2013

Nerd Girl Guide: Build Your Own Style and Confidently Rock It! (Part 1)



If you're a nerd girl like me, chances are you already have some awesomesauce wardrobe components. But when you're out in the world sometimes it can be hard to wear the things you love without looking over your shoulder to see who is pointing at you. I hate to say this, but...

DEAL. WITH. IT.

If you identify as a nerd, geek, or dork of some sort, you shouldn't care who might be pointing at you, or mocking you, or thinking that you're weird and I'll tell you why:

  •  the "cool" peeps that need to single you out are intimidated by your courage! It's hard to be different.
  •  what other people think about you is inconsequential; what YOU think about you matters most.
  •  it takes commitment and dedication to stay true to yourself, if someone is mocking you, they probably wish they had the balls to be themselves instead of following the herd.
  • if you're a "grown-up" like me, you probably encounter resistance from other adults who wish they hadn't sold out on their youth. Suckers.

Stop listening to the little voices that put you down and only hear those that lift you up. If you look awesome, carry yourself like you're awesome not like you're scared of the world. The world should be scared of getting punched in the face by your sky-high self-assurance. 

Before we start dealing with clothes and stuff, let's make sure that your self-confidence is up where it should be. Check out the following exercises and try to do them before checking out the next post in this series.

Take Action Now!
  1. In your journal or on a piece of paper, briefly write about the following three topics: My 5 Favourite Things to Wear and Why They Make Me Feel Amazing; 10 Qualities That Make Me Da Bomb (talents, skills, strengths), 3 Things I Can Do to be More Positive
  2. Grab a mirror. Look in it. SMILE at yourself! Do this every time you encounter your own reflection.
  3. Make an effort to do nice, helpful things for other people throughout the day, and every day. It makes you feel good about yourself, and when someone thanks you for something, you know you're being appreciated. Mmmm... warm fuzzies are great!
  4. Don't be afraid of failure or being wrong. Nobody is perfect and if you're a perfectionist, well, stop it. Admit to yourself the things that you're just not good at- don't stop doing them if you enjoy it, but if you're destined to suck at it, know that you suck at it and just have fun. Striving for a level you won't reach is a surefire way to shoot yourself in the foot ;) *I didn't learn how to catch or throw a baseball until after I admitted to myself that I throw like a monkey and will only catch a ball maybe 1 in 10 times*
  5. Every day, try to wear one item that you love, that makes you feel special, or that you'd like to share with other people. Rainbows keep me happy so I always try to wear a little rainbow somewhere.
Once you've gotten through the exercises, come on back over and share something in the comments. Maybe the 3 things you can do to be more positive, or how you felt after admitting that you sucked at something, or even one of the nice things you did and what kind of effect it had. I'd love to read about your experiences with these confidence-builders! 

Check the Nerdifacts blog again next week for Part 2 of Build Your Own Style and Confidently Rock It! 

Thanks for stopping by!
*Maria



3 comments:

  1. This is actually really inspirational and motivational. I think you deserve some love for how awesome you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little comment goes a long way JessicaTheMouse! Thanks for taking the time to make me feel wonderful and giving me some feedback on a post that I was hoping would make others feel wonderful too :)

      Delete
  2. I could never call my style "normal" even as a kid, I was always doing something different or what others would call "weird" but that's really the fun of it. It makes me happy to wear something different or "silly." Why be the same as everyone else, that gets to be boring. Even when I have to wear my work uniform I always like to have a bright or fun accessory, pin, necklace, hair clip or whatever. And more often then not people respond positively about it and complement me on it. Then there are the other ones that are all "Why would you wear that?" "Because I like it." And as long as I like it that's all that matters. Some people get it, some people don't. Clearly you get it, you're awesome! And I looove your octopus hair clips!!!

    ReplyDelete